In august 2013, Information Society Development Institute joined the NESSI and Net!Works European Technology Platforms.
NESSI is a European Technology Platform active in Information and Communication Technologies for contributing to the research and innovation space of Software and Service. NESSI stands for the Networked European Software and Service Initiative. It provides a platform for the community from industry and academia.
NESSI promotes that software, services, and data are key enablers to help resolve European societal and economic challenges across all sectors, both private and public, such as manufacturing, transportation, energy, and health care.
The intended scope of NESSI is to:
• provide a unified view for European research in Services Architectures and Software
• identify a shared strategic research agenda based on technological and economic
• coordinate implementation of the research objectives;
• demonstrate the potential application of research results to existing business
processes as well as in new products and services;
• continuously analyse relevant state-of-the-art technologies, including the
opportunities offered by available approaches and the appearance of new
• continuously analyse the state of the service-oriented software industry and the
economic impact of the research undertaken. This will provide real economic data for
the definition of future research directions; and
• establish the strategies and deployment policies to speed up the realization of the
vision, including public policies to fuel the dynamics of the services ecosystem.
Net!Works is the European Technology Platform for communications networks and services. Communications networks enable interaction between users of various types of equipment, either mobile (e.g. mobile phones) or fixed (e.g. PCs); they are the foundation of the Internet.
The Net!Works European Technology Platform gathers more than 700 players of the communications networks sector: industry leaders, innovative SMEs, and leading academic institutions.
The mission of Net!Works is to strengthen Europe's leadership in networking technology and services so that it best serves Europe's citizens and the European economy.
Bridging the gap between research and innovation and the expectations from the European society is critical. Therefore Net!Works is committing to interact more with actors outside the research community. Decision makers from the various public authorities in charge of economic development or of local and regional policies, for example, will be asked to provide their views and cooperate.